Job Opportunity- PT Maternity cover
Specialist Project Support Worker
Responsible to CHIVA CEO
21 hours across the month. Some evening and weekend work as needed.
Maternity Leave cover for 6 months from October 2019
The role of the Specialist Project Support Worker is to offer emotional and social support and HIV education to children and young people who are living with HIV in the North West region and attending Liverpool Alder Hey Children’s Hospital. This support is offered during attendance at clinics, peer meet up days, and one to one and family based support as required.
1. To provide support to children and young people living with HIV across the North West region. Using a child centred approach provide support to children and young people to help them understand and accept their HIV diagnosis through one to one meetings and in group settings during peer group meetups.
2. Work with the local clinic team to ensure a collaborative relationship in the provision of care and support to children and young people and their families. Attend and contribute to regular Multi-disciplinary team meetings at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital.
3. To undertake further direct support work with children and young people and their families as needed to address more complex social and emotional needs relating to impacts of HIV on families. Advocate on behalf of children and their families on an individual basis to wider agencies and organisations such as schools and social care as needed. Attend professionals meetings and provide professional advice and guidance relating to specialist understanding of impacts of HIV on children, young people and their families and key practice issues such as confidentiality.
4. To consult with children and young people and ascertain their priorities for sessions and activities to support their needs as delivered by this project.
5. To organise peer group meet ups in the region and plan activities to take place during the event, including HIV themed workshops and social activities. Lead on managing logistics for these activities.
6. To work with the CHIVA staff team in the delivery of this project and promote the activities through various communications. To attend supervision sessions with CHIVA CEO.
7. To carry out evaluations of this project with children and young people and other key stakeholders.
8. To follow CHIVA policies and procedures and keep up to date with relevant legislation and practice guidance.
Specialist Project Support Worker – Person Specification
1. A professional background in nursing, social work, psychology/psychotherapy or related health or social care profession.
2. Experience of providing care and support services to children and young people.
3. Up to date knowledge and understanding of HIV, including approaches to treatment and care.
4. Experience of providing one to one support sessions to young people.
5. Experience of planning and delivering group work sessions with young people.
Please contact the CHIVA CEO Amanda Ely for further details and how to apply.
Closing date: Thursday 12th September 2019.