What is a Camp Leader?
A Camp Leader is a young person aged 18 – 24 years old who is living with HIV and who will help to run the support camp. They will be a mentor to the young people at camp, and help with the running of the camp too.
Camp leaders are part of a wider volunteer team who help run camp, to ensure camp runs smoothly, the young people have fun, and are well supported.
It is important to remember that as a camp leader you are in a very different role to if you were a young person at camp.
The qualities which we feel are important for Camp Leaders are:
- Being committed and enthusiastic
- Sensitivity and able to empathise with other people
- Confidence to talk with children and young people about HIV
- Having a strong commitment to equality and non-discrimination on grounds of race, ethnicity, country of origin, religion, gender, sexuality or disability.
The skills and abilities which we feel are important for Camp Leaders are:
- Excellent communication skills
- Be able to motivate and inspire others
- Be able to work in a team
- Good organisational skills
- Able to be a role model for other young people living with HIV
- Be flexible – things often change at camp
Camp Leaders do not need to have worked with young people before, as we will be there to give lots of support, information and training for you to take on the role.
Because the Camp Leader role is for young people living with HIV, there will be occasions at camp where you will be asked about your personal experience, by CHIVA staff and by young people. Therefore it will be important to feel able to be honest about this when you complete the application form. If you share difficulties or struggles this won't prevent your application being taken forward. These personal reflections and discussions will continue during the training with your supervisor and during group supervision at camp, and you will be able to be supported.
What would I gain from being a camp leader?
- Direct experience of working with young people
- An experience working alongside other like-minded young people living with HIV
- Being involved in a unique experience for young people living with HIV.
in line with COVID-19 virus, we will not be running our planned training in May and we are working on an alternative plan. We will notify you as soon as possible about the new arrangements.
PLEASE NOTE ATTENDANCE AT THE TRAINING DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL DEFINITELY BE SELECTED AS A CAMP LEADER. CHIVA STAFF WILL ASSESS THE TEAM AND CONFIRM THE SELECTIONS AFTER THE TRAINING.
Who can answer my questions?
Abi Carter at the CHIVA Office can answer your questions. You can call her on 0117 905 5149, text, whatsapp or call 07807 705 062 or email firstname.lastname@example.org