Since 2010 the CHIVA Youth Committee (CYC) has been working alongside the CHIVA staff team and Executive Committee to represent the voices of children and young people. The CYC is a vibrant and creative group of young people who are keen to get involved in all sorts of projects and campaigns, and get the voices of young people living with HIV heard. The committee has up to 12 members at each time. There is an elected chair and deputy chair. Committee members are all aged between 12-18 years of age and HIV positive. Committee members hold their roles for 2 years and recruitment is via an application form available on this page (when we are recruiting). An independent survey assessing the self esteem of CYC members was conducted in 2014, to measure the impact of being on the CHIVA Youth Committee. You can read the report here.
The CYC is a vibrant and creative group of young people who are keen to get involved in all sorts of projects and campaigns, and get the voices of young people living with HIV heard.
The CYC aims:
- To give a voice to HIV positive and affected children and young people in the work of CHIVA and in the public domain
- To work with the media, policy makers and the public to tackle the stigma attached to HIV.
The CYC does this by:
- Meeting 3-4 times a year to review CHIVA’s work and influence developments
- Being available to work with people and organisations outside of CHIVA on issues and campaigns
- Becoming involved in projects they feel will work towards creating better awareness and understanding relating to HIV.
The CHIVA Youth Committee is proud to endorse the LIVE HIV Neutral Campaign. More information here.