Since 2010 the CHIVA Youth Committee (CYC) has been working alongside the CHIVA staff team and Executive Committee to represent the voices of children and young people. The CYC is a vibrant and creative group of young people who are keen to get involved in all sorts of projects and campaigns, and get the voices of young people living with HIV heard. The committee has up to 12 members at each time. There is an elected chair and deputy chair. Committee members are all aged between 12-18 years of age and all live with HIV. Committee members hold their roles for 2 or 3 years and recruitment is via an application form available on this page when there are vacancies.
The CYC aims:
- To give a voice to children and young people living with HIV in the work of CHIVA and in the public domain
- To work with the media, policy makers and the public to tackle HIV stigma and support campaigns.
The CYC does this by:
- Meeting 3-4 times a year to review CHIVA’s work and influence developments
- Working with partner organisations outside of CHIVA on issues and campaigns and speaking at conferences
- Becoming involved in projects they feel will work towards creating better awareness and understanding of HIV.