Discrimination in care

If you feel you or your child are being treated differently by social workers or foster carers because you or your child are living with HIV, you should make a complaint following the social services complaints procedure.

Include the name of the person who you felt discriminated against you, and when you spoke to them. You may be able to get support to do this from:

  • your health care team 
  • an HIV support service
  • Coram Voice – an organisation who help people make complaints about the care of children by local authorities
  • The National AIDS Trust who can give advice and guidance on your rights and how professionals should treat you.

If you or your child were subjected to serious discrimination due to living with HIV it is very important that you tell these people/organisations so that they can challenge this and also support you in dealing with it.