Enhancing the health and social wellbeing of children and young people living with HIV

Discrimination in Care

It is very important that you or your child do not face any discrimination. This is behaviour that makes you feel you are being treated differently by social workers and foster carers involved in looking after your child.

If you think this is happening, for example your child starts to be treated differently in the foster carer's home when they find out you have HIV, or other people are told about yours or your child’s HIV status without your permission, you should raise this concern with the social worker.

If someone does discriminate against you, make a complaint. Every social services has to have a complaints procedure, so use this.

If you make a verbal complaint, also send a letter setting out what you said and write down the name of the person and when you spoke to them. Get support to do this; your nurse might help you, or a support service.

There is an organisation called Voice who help people make complaints about the care of children by local authorities, so they can help you.

Also the National AIDS Trust can help you do this, and give advice and guidance on your rights and how professionals should treat you.

If you or your child were subjected to serious discrimination due to living with HIV it is very important that you tell these organisations so that they can challenge this and also support you in dealing with it.