Enhancing the health and social wellbeing of children and young people living with HIV

Who Can Help?

There are many different people who can help you through this. There may be family or friends who know you have HIV, who you can talk to and get support from. You may be able to talk to a parent who has already tested their child for HIV through the hospital or a support service.

At the hospital, there may be a member of staff you already feel able to talk to, such as your health advisor or nurse. Ask them to support you. Your health team will want to help you in any way they can, as they want this to be as easy as it can be for you and your child. There may be a hospital social worker that can help you too.

If you use a support service or group, you could see if there is someone there who can support you. Ask other parents living with HIV you know from this group if they have had their children tested - if they have, ask them to talk you through their experience. If there isn’t anyone, it could be that other parents are thinking about it and it is something you can go through together.

If you have never been to a support service, perhaps now is the time when they could really help you. They could introduce you to other parents who have been through this, or who are going through this.

You can talk to some people on a chat room specially set up for people living with HIV called My HIV.