www.chiva.org.uk is a website operated by Chiva.
We are a registered charity in England and Wales and our registration number is: 1122356
We are a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales under company number: 06337017
Our registered address is: Chiva. Orchard Street Business Centre. 13 Orchard street. Bristol. BS1 5EH
Chiva takes the privacy of our project participants, members, supporters and volunteers very seriously.
We are strongly committed to protecting your privacy and every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that your information is kept secure and intact.
This policy describes how Chiva collects and uses personal information about the people who visit our website and give us their data over the phone, face-to-face, and electronically.
This policy also states how and why we use data, how we store it and how individual personal data can be amended.
By using our website, you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy. If you have any queries about this policy please contact: [email protected] or write to the registered address above.
Chiva is fully committed to complying with the principles set out in GDPR and have a legal duty to protect any information we collect.
This policy can be viewed with reference to related policies: Chiva Data Protection Policy and Privacy Notices which are provided when we receive personal information.
- Your personal information is only used for the purpose for which we collect it.
- Your personal information is only seen by those who need it to do their jobs.
- We will only disclose data when we have your consent, or where we are obliged to disclose personal data by law, or as expressly permitted under the GDPR (through contract; legal obligation; vital interests; public task; or legitimate interests).
- We will keep your information up to date. Inaccurate or misleading data will be corrected as soon as possible.
- Personal information is retained only for as long as it is required for the purpose collected;
- Your information will be protected from unauthorised or accidental disclosure and processed in an appropriate manner to maintain its integrity and confidentiality.
- We will provide you with a copy of your personal information on request
- These principles apply whether we hold your information on paper or in electronic form.
How do we collect personal data?
If you attend activities and events delivered by Chiva, we will collect information whilst receiving your consent to attend an event or activity.
We gather general information about the use of our website, such as which pages users visit most often and which resources or information pages are of most interest. We gather information from google analytics on location ie countries of browsers, but not individual IP addresses.
We obtain personal information from you when you enquire about our activities, including fundraising and trading, register with us as a member or to attend an event, send or receive an email, make a donation to us, ask a question or otherwise provide us with personal information.
We will only ever collect the information that we need, including data that will be useful to help improve our services. The information is either needed to fulfil your request or to enable us to provide you with an improved service.
What information do we collect?
The personal information we collect might include name, date of birth, email address, postal address, telephone number and credit/debit card details (eg for donations, for members paying for their annual membership to Chiva, or to attend a conference).
We may collect special categories of personal data such as information about personal health because of the specialist nature of our organisation. We have additional measures in place to protect this data.
Why do we collect this information?
We collect this information for the purpose of promoting the aims of the Charity and communicating effectively and appropriately with our supporters and, in particular, providing support to our beneficiaries. The lawful basis for which we process your information is:
- Your consent
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party. Either selling or purchasing goods and services from the charity.
- Processing is necessary for compliance with our legal obligations, for example to comply with our obligations as an employer to disclose employee salary details to HMRC.
- Processing is necessary to protect your interests or that of another person.
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest.
- Processing is necessary for the purpose of the legitimate interest pursued by us or a third party, except where your rights as a data subject override our legitimate interest. A legitimate interest for Chiva is to hold personal information on our volunteers and trustees to enable us to communicate effectively with volunteers.
How do we use this information?
We will use the information you provide in the ways set out below:
- To promote the aims of Chiva.
- To provide and personalise our services to beneficiaries.
- To communicate with our supporters, members, and volunteers dealing with enquiries and requests.
- To provide you with information that you have indicated an interest in, for example information about our campaigns, volunteering, and fundraising.
- We may use this information to personalise the way our website is presented when users visit it, to make improvements to our website and to ensure we provide the best service for users.
- To claim Gift Aid on donations.
- For administrative purposes.
Do we share your information with anybody else?
Under no circumstance will Chiva share with, sell or otherwise make available to Third Parties any personal data except where it is necessary and unavoidable to do so in pursuit of its charitable objects. Whenever possible we would inform you in advance of the need to share your personal data with a third party in pursuit of the charity’s objectives.
Chiva may need to disclose your information if required to do so by law or as expressly permitted under applicable data protection legislation.
Storing and protecting your information
Chiva places great importance on the security of all personally identifiable information associated with our beneficiaries, supporters, staff and volunteers. We have security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration or destruction of personal data under our control. Payment’s made via our website are through PayPal which has its own security measures in place.
We will keep your information only for as long as we need it to provide you with the goods, services or information you have required, and to comply with the law and tax accounting rules. When your information is no longer required, we will always dispose of it securely.
Payment Card Information
Chiva does not store any sensitive payment card data in our systems. All payments to Chiva are made through PayPal.
Collecting information about children
Chiva always seeks consent from a parent or guardian before collecting personal information about a child aged under 16.
You have a right to object to Chiva processing your personal information at any time.
You have a right to ask us to confirm whether we are processing information about you, and to request access to this information.
You can also request information on behalf of somebody else.
We will ask you for proof of your identity before we can act upon your request. To obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you, please write to us at our registered address.
You may ask us, or we may ask you, to rectify information you or we think is inaccurate, and you may also ask us to remove information which is inaccurate (‘right to rectification’).
You have a right to obtain your personal data from us and reuse it for your own purposes, without hindering the usability of the data (‘right of portability’). This right does not apply where processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us.
You have a right to seek the erasure of your data (the ‘right to be forgotten’). You may wish to exercise this right for any reason, for example where it is no longer necessary for us to continue holding or processing your personal data you may withdraw your consent. You should note that we are entitled to and reserve the right to retain your data for statistical purposes. This right is not absolute, as we may need to continue processing this information, for example, to comply with our legal obligations, or for reasons of public interest.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights above, please contact Chiva CEO at our registered address. We will act in accordance with your instructions as soon as reasonably possible and there will be no charge.
You have a right to report any of your concerns about our use of your data to the Information Commissioner’s Office. You can call their helpline: 0303 123 1113.
Cookies on our website are small text files that are placed on your device to enhance your browsing experience, customise content, and analyse website traffic, while respecting your privacy and preferences.
You have the option to reject all cookies or select cookie preferences in the ‘Cookie pop up’ window when you arrive on our website.
Third party links
Our website may contain links to third-party websites, including YouTube. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of these external sites. We recommend reviewing the privacy policies of these third parties for information on their data handling.
YouTube Videos on Chiva Website
Trademarks and copyright
Chiva website contains material which is protected by copyright and/or other intellectual property rights. All copyright and intellectual property rights including the names, images and logos are owned by Chiva unless otherwise stated. All rights are reserved.
You are responsible for complying with all applicable copyright laws. We permit you to make copies of information on Chiva website as necessary. Nothing in these terms shall be construed as conferring any right to use any trademark, logo, patent right or copyright of Chiva.
Date written: October 2019.
Updated October 2023.