We know that Coronavirus COVID-19 is causing a lot of worries for people, we aim to provide information, guidance, support and reassurance during this challenging time. CHIVA have developed dedicated information for professionals, parents and young people on COVID-19 and HIV to provide updates on recommendations and evidence as received.


Enhancing the health and social wellbeing of children and young people living with HIV

School, college, university

You can choose to tell your school, college or university about your HIV status, but you do not have to. If you do decide to tell them, they should keep it confidential unless you allow them to share this information. Schools are not allowed to treat you negatively, or not give you a place at school because you have HIV. You have a right to an education. If you do decide to tell them, you should plan this, and we have written some further information here about this.


When you attend university, you can get disability student allowance, and support from student services during your study, but if you haven’t listed any health conditions on your original UCAS form, it can be more complicated to get these things in place later, so this is something for you to consider when you are thinking about applying. For more information on disability student allowance, visit here. There are some FAQ's relating to support for disabled students from UCAS here

The below leaflet produced by NCB has information about your rights, and preparing to go to college/university.