Every year, we bring together health and social care professionals for a one-day conference, exploring the latest research and updates on paediatric HIV. We focus on a few themes, looking at key issues that affect our work supporting children and young adults who live with HIV. The conference is RCPCH CPD accredited.
Chiva Conference 2024
Our 18th annual Chiva conference will take place on 15 March 2024 in Birmingham.
The day will cover a range of vital issues and updates, from understanding HIV-related stigma, to engagement in care, youth involvement in Chiva’s work, and the latest HIV research. There will also be afternoon workshops.
- Our Stories Told by Us: Celebrating the African contribution to the UK HIV response. The authors of this book will be sharing how it was developed and a flavour of its contents. Angelina Namiba, Memory Sachikonye and Rebecca Mbewe
- Trauma-informed care. Dr Sarah Rutter, Clinical Psychologist, North Manchester General Hospital
- Engagement in care. Dr Kate Childs, BHIVA invited speaker, Kings College Hospital
*please note, we use Eventbrite for conference registration
The conference will be held at The Birmingham Conference and Events Centre.
Chiva professional members are eligible for a discounted rate.
- Member Consultants: £50
- Member Health and Social Care Professionals: £30
- Non-Member Consultants: £65
- Non-Member Health and Social Care Professionals: £45
- Corporate/ Industry Professionals: £125
Chiva is offering 10 free places to medical, nursing or social care students. To apply:
- Write 200 words outlining how attending Chiva’s 18th annual conference would benefit you in your professional training and future career.
- Email this to [email protected] by 31 January 2024.
Places for community organisations
In some cases, we offer other non-profits and community organisations free attendance, as well as the opportunity to host a stand. Please get in touch with [email protected] to discuss.
Abstracts are now invited for posters, and potential selection for oral abstracts. The deadline for submissions is 31 January 2024.
Please note, presentations do not need to be exclusive to this meeting and may be presented elsewhere.
Getting to the Venue
The Birmingham Conference and Events Centre, Hill Street, Birmingham, B5 4EW, is located next door to Birmingham New Street Station, making it a two-minute walk for those arriving by train.
There is also a car park, NCP Birmingham New Street, right behind the venue.
The venue is linked by a glass walkway to the Birmingham City Centre Holiday Inn.
You can book by contacting:
0121 634 6222
Chiva Conference 2023
The 17th Annual Chiva conference: Growing up, growing older and living well with HIV, was held on Friday 17 March 2023 as a hybrid event.
The day covered the lifespan of what it means to grow up with HIV, from achieving U=U in vertical transmission, key new studies around infant feeding, the work of youth peer mentors in clinics, and ageing with HIV, among other issues.
CHIVA’S FAMILY CONFERENCE
In 2023, we decided not to hold a Chiva family conference. Instead, we now hold a family residential weekend each year.
You can view information and programme details for earlier conference below. Chiva members can access more content from past conferences in the Members Area.